Generation Liberty, a youth network sponsored by the IPA, is dedicated to advancing the ideas of economic, political and individual liberty among young Australians.
Throughout human history, freedom has been a force for good, lifting millions of people out of poverty. In a truly free society, individuals are in control of their own destiny.
However, key institutions in our society responsible for the education of our young people are increasingly unable or unwilling to pass on the values of freedom. In our schools and universities curricula increasingly tells a radical story which denigrates the western tradition and seeks to further a social agenda inimical to individual freedom, personal responsibility and the rights which are part of our heritage.
Yet our research shows the rising generation has a tremendous appetite for knowledge and principles which are firmly grounded in freedom and the heritage of the West. We have therefore established the Generation Liberty program to reinvigorate the spark, energy, and passion of the next generation. Targeting young Australians, it bridges the gap between the next generation and the ideas of free markets, capitalism, and democracy.
The last few years have been landmark years for Generation Liberty. In the past 3 years our campus coordinators have held over 41 events reaching over 2600 young people. The event topics varied and included our debate series on capitalism vs socialism, an event about Labor’s proposed indigenous voice to parliament, nuclear energy and multiple events discussing western civilisation.
Key elements of the Generation Liberty program include:
Generation Liberty Mailing List [Free]
Offering a selection of publications, news, and events keeping you connected to the political debate in Australia and around the world.
- Free access to Generation Liberty events featuring high-profile speakers
- Monthly releases of email ‘IPA What’s New’
- Weekly Generation Liberty news updates
Generation Liberty Membership [$10]
Enjoy full access to IPA events, publications and news. Make the most of this discounted membership offer and join the IPA network.
- Free access to all IPA and Generation Liberty events featuring high profile speakers
- Quarterly releases of our awarding-winning magazine, The IPA Review
- Weekly releases of ‘IPA This Week’ and weekly Generation Liberty news updates which connects you to political debate in Australia and globally
- Updates from the IPA’s policy experts as issues develop
- Regular updates from Scott Hargreaves, the IPA’s Executive Director, offering our perspective on major issues
- Eligibility for the IPA’s Future Leader’s Program or the IPA Academy
Campus Coordinator Program (Paid Position):
- Campus coordinators operate across four States. They are current students representing the IPA on campus, providing information, running events and building networks with like-minded organisations on campus
Book Club Podcast:
- This program encourages students to engage with the great ideas of the Western intellectual tradition. Those who sign up get sent 12 classic novels to be read over the course of a year in conjunction with an IPA podcast series which provides an analysis of each book, placing it in its modern context
- A program of research and publication highlighting the increasing number of restrictions on debate, language and the scope of courses in universities across the country
Brianna McKee is the National Manager of Generation Liberty. Brianna studied a Bachelor of Liberal Arts at Campion College and worked for two years as a journalist at Sky News Australia before joining the IPA team at the start of 2022.
If you are interested in supporting the work of Generation Liberty, you can learn more about the IPA’s Project Hope group here.
Here are some photos of our campus coordinators out and about on campus and at events: